Friday, July 31, 2009

Ironman Lake Placid 2010- Registration

I'm in.

For the fifth time, I'll be doing Ironman Lake Placid in 2010. This will be my third straight time doing the race after a year off. Each time I do the race, it seems a little bit harder to get in.

The short amount of online entry time convinced us to head up, do some training, and sign up the day after the race.

I've read on forums since that the race was open online for more than one but less than two hours. Let me say that I'm shocked by this. I stood in line for about four and a half hours and watched the volunteer line, which extended from in front of the Ironman Village to behind the school, slowly move while we made jokes and devastated three porta-potties across the way.

When my son came by he asked me what I was doing and I said 'waiting for someone to come out and tell us the race is closed'. This drew a laugh. I then drew bigger laughs riding his Spiderman bike with the training wheels, his helmet crammed on my melon.

I don't know if they oversold the race, or if the online went as slowly as it did for Arizona, but that people got on, online, for something less than two hours is just- wow. We waited for 4 hours before our line even started to move- at least four hours.

I would have guessed 2500 people signed up on site- they had fifteen (???) registration stations processing people starting before 8AM. But obviously that was not the case. In any event, I am happy to be in and hopefully this weekend I'll be able to blog about last week's race.

Bottom line- I have to put it aside. My A race this year is Arizona and I can't be looking past it to 2010.

No comments: