Monday, May 19, 2008

Off Topic- Beer

Anyone who knows me also knows that I like beer. This is not usual for triathletes, and in fact, when you consider I can't really swim, don't know how much my bike weighs, and don't keep or record running splits, I probably am only qualified to be a triathlete by my significant fondness for beer, and my ownership of numerous singlet/bike short kits. And the race tees. Don't forget the 450.00 race tees...

Anyway, onto a subject I typically know a little about, beer. On Saturday, I bought two six packs of beer- including Stoudt's Double IPA bottle-conditioned India Pale Ale info here. If you're reading this blog, you already know that I was racing Sunday, and how I did. So when I cracked open this little gem on at 6 PM on Saturday, I was thinking IPA, not Double IPA. Serious dumb moment on my part. Double IPAs typically start at 7% alcohol and go up from there and I certainly know better.

Stoudt's Double IPA clocks in at an even (and potent) 10%. I was thinking 6-7% tops. It was about 6PM, I was pretty thirsty, and I downed this potent ale quickly. In short order, the beer was gone- and I was buzzed.

I found myself thinking "Oh, man, this is bad, it's late, I want to be sleeping in a few hours and I feel practically drunk..."

It all worked out, but a word to the wise. If you want to have a Stoudt's Double IPAs, have it after your race, not the night before. This is a great 'I just mowed the lawn, now I'm just going to hang out' beer...

No comments: