Monday, November 03, 2008

Ironman Florida First Thoughts

I have to write a real race report, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to get that done tonight. 48 hours out from the race, it's nice just to be home on the DSL and have some real internet access, something that was in very short supply in our condo in PCB.

On one hand, a 10:08 is nothing to complain about even though I got buried in my age group- I got beat by 34 people- in my age group ! On the other hand, wow, I could have broken ten hours and I didn't.

It was a great day, but it was not an easy day, and it was largely a reminder that there is no such thing as an easy Ironman, or an easy Ironman course, even though Florida is an easy course and it was a pretty damn nice day to race.

So before I write my race report proper, let me say this. I felt like I belonged out there for the entire time. From the moment I started the swim, in the front this time, not in the back, not well off to the side, until I crossed the line ten hours later, I felt like I belonged out on that course. I didn't feel like an impostor.

No comments: