Thursday, March 05, 2009

Back Outdoors

My 11 AM meeting ran late (don't they always ?) and I found myself look at 12:15 with two choices- walk 5 minutes to my car to drive 10, and probably only get about 1000 yards in the pool, then drive back, or run 40-45 minutes wearing nothing but tri-kit and gloves.

This is not a choice. If my car had been in the parking lot and it had been noon, I would have headed straight to the pool, but even though the mid-thirties is a little cold for bike shorts and singlet, I knew that the cold would only last for, well part of the run. I'd had a good spin this morning and I'd done the hill workout on the treadmill (below) yesterday, so I needed a solid, really solid tempo run.

With the exception of the fact that my Zoot trainers let water in through the bottom (great for triathlons, lousy for running in slush and puddles), it was a great run and another example of how you can be one the fence about a run and it turns out to be the best thing you could do. By the time I was climbing up one of the bigger hills halfway through the run and NIN's Sin came on the iPod, I knew I'd made the right choice.

I may not be in Arizona like my coach and his camp, but that doesn't mean it's not time to get outdoors...

No comments: