Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year, No Beer

I felt really bad this morning missing my coach's annual New Year's Day run. I'd caught some kind of a cold and spent half of Christmas Eve Night hunched over a humidifier trying to breathe. While I hadn't missed any workouts and even managed a 90 minute, high intensity run on the 28th, I was not sure I was up for an hour or more of running in pouring rain at 45 degrees. I opted for 75 minutes of spinning instead.

Of course, workouts get co-mingled with something that is, for lack of a better term, called the 'cleanse.' This diet, which lasts two weeks, is designed to eliminate our bad nutritional habits- 2-3 beers at night, that four-slice swiss cheese sandwhich which I call lunch, and spicy potato chips, in my case.

I dread the cleanse in a way that is almost ritualistic, not because it's a bad idea, but because my food willpower is not as easily summoned as my workout willpower, and because this year I am training for an April Ironman.

I'll be posting on how the cleanse is going every day right here....

No comments: